Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Response to Shelby's Blog


Shelby Springer wrote a delightful blog post about whether smoking should be banned in public places. She did some research and looked at the pros and cons of banning it. The pros she had looked into specific stories abot people who had died form second hand smoke. Since these are real life stories with very sad endings they would be more likely to make an impact on the reader. But I also believed that the cons made some relatively decent points, but personally I don't think that the points were a strong enough argument for the smokers.

I do believe that smoking should be banned in public places. But I do kind of see how it is taking away from some freedom for the smokers. I see how they do feel that they should have a right to smoke where and when they want for the most part. On the other hand, I am giong to still have to support the ban. I would like to be able to have the freedom to NOT inhale their smoke when and where I want. And since picking up the habit of smoking was the smoker's own conscious decision, I feel like they should respect the wishes of those of us who have decided to make a healthier lifestyle choice. They smoker's are choosing to breathe in the smoke, as second hand recipients, we don't have the choice to not breathe in the infested air around us.

I think that smoking indoors is rude in general if you do it without asking those around you if it is okay first. It does not show respect for those around you that are not smoking. I am sure that certain smokers are irritated with these smoking ban laws but they do not as easily recognize how their smoking can affect the nonsmokers. So for the mean time, I am definitely for the ban on allowing smokers to smoke in public places, for the sake fo the innocent lungs around them.

Image from: http://mylifethinking.com/life/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/second-hand-smoke.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment