Sunday, April 18, 2010

Rap Snacks!


So during my senior year of high school, my friend and I were randomly searching the internet during our graphics class and we came across Rap Snacks: The Official Snack of Hip Hop (with 0 grams trans fat!). Now of course I am all over this, I mean who wouldn't be? Unfortunately they are not sold in any nearby locations and they are $9.99 to order over the internet...act like I have time for that.

Rap Snacks are different flavors of chips and popcorn that are sold in bags that have different rappers on the front of them. Along with these rappers' face, there are words of wisdom along the bottom of many of them. For instance on Lil Romeo's bag of Bar-b-quin' with my Honey flavored chips, there is a message under his face that stays "Stay in School", while Dirt's McGirt (a.k.a. Ol' Dirty Bastard)was telling the consumer to "Think Responsibly" on his Sour Cream and Onion bag. When asking the creators of these chips why they did this they saw it as a way to get to the younger generation who will see their rapper on a bag, want to buy it because they see him on the bag, but also see that these celebrities want this consumer to stay in school so then they will start to think that going to school is the thing to do because that is what they are told by this celebrity who is endorsing these chips.

Chips seem like an odd choice for motivating children. Obviously, the rappers on the bag are more for sales and not just to motivate the younger children, but also chips would not seem like the first choice. It is better than having athletes promote McDonald's, I will give them that, at least rappers are likely to eat chips here and there. In reality, if junior high was just getting on my nerves and I was ready to just quit and live off of babysitting money until I was old enough to marry rich and I saw a bag of Rap Snacks, I wouldn't necessarily use their message as my deciding factor. So I don't know how well it is working, but then again, I am still in school, aren't I?

Image from: http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/1661589.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD466CBB8E91284AF70CC0BBB4EEB934E5721716F9A148C8B3E30A760B0D811297

No comments:

Post a Comment