Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mmmm...Raspberries...


There used to be raspberry bushes in my backyard right next to my family's garden. They have grown there on their own ever since my family lived in that house. When I was little I used to casually pick these raspberries and eat then as I walked pass these bushes. Unfortunately, as the years passed, these bushes have yielded less and less of these tasty morsels. Eventually, the bushes were pulled out and that part of the yard was tilled for other purposes that were not as awesome as raspberry bushes. But I still remember picking these berries directly off the bushes and eating them in their most natural and delicous form.

These days, we do not have any more fruit growing in our backyard. If we want fruit we go to the store and get it. I usually do not have raspberries that often anymore but if I do, they come from the store, and usually in some canned or jam form to be put on or in some sort of dessert food. Obviously, these berries do not taste exactly like the real thing; they just get the raspberry flavor point across. Also, these berries have been tampered with to the point where they will most likely not have the same nutrients that the fresh berries did.

Even though the fresh berries were good, I will be sticking to store bought berries for the present time and having real ones in moderation for they are crazy expensive and my dorm's RA tends to frown upon me growing larger trees and bushes in my room. Also, keeping a jade plant alive in the dorm has already proven itself quite a challenge for those of us who have not been blessed with a plant nurturing gene and keep knocking plants over. At my family's home, or one day at a home of my very own I would probably consider having some sort of bush, tree, or plant that would produce some sort of fruit or vegetable though. From your own garden, in my opinion, is where you can get the best food.

Image from: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3234/2843157631_845601e1cb.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment