Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Think Before You Eat

A few days ago, when I was visiting home, I decided that I would make myself a salad for lunch. So I went down to my local grocery store and bought some lettuce and other sundries that I felt would add to the quality of my salad. When I got home, I washed and cut the vegetables to put in this salad and threw them together into two bowls, one for me and one for my mom.Then we sat down and enjoyed the salad which ended up meeting all of our expectations and then some.

Every step it took to make this salad was very important in order to get to the best part of actually eating it. I obviously could not have made it if I did not go to the store to get the food I needed in order to make it. Washing the vegetables is not as demanded in the salad making process as going to the store and getting the vegetables but it is still a good idea. Other things, like cutting the vegetables and putting the vegetables together in bowls are all a part of making the salad just a little easier to eat. Eating the meal with my mom made for good company while eating it.

I agree with Pollan when he says that we feel the need to have a "nutritional philosophy" give to us. We are in a fast paced culture and many of us don't want to take too much time to think about what we are eating so we let the companies tell us what we should eat. Many times we find what is the quickest and cheapest, or what has the most nutritionally appealing looking words stuck on the front label, that we do not stop to think about or savor what we are eating. It is less common these days that families sit down and eat a well cooked meal together at the dinner table. Maybe some famillies should stop, take a moment, and eat together a few times. It does make an impact.

Photo From: http://http://media.onsugar.com/files/ons1/192/1922729/27_2009/050e6c9175c09527_mcdonaldssalad.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment