Sunday, April 18, 2010

Response to Amy Reynold's Blog


Amy Reynold's wrote a blog post that looked at both sides of abortion. I thought she did a good job looking at both sides and the articles that she attached to the post made you stop and think about the debate. A agreed with her when she said that the pro-choice article is more convincing than the pro-life article. It was laid out better. Also, the issues that pro-life people have seem to revolve more around ethics than science in my opinion.

I am not too crazy about the idea of abortion, I do understand where the pro-life people are coming from in this case. But, on the other hand, I would still call myself pro-choice. I would never want to have one nor would I want to encourage one but I do believe that it is the decision of the woman who is having this dilemma. Her decision is really none of my business and it has nothing to do with me so who am I to tell her what she can and cannot do? This is why I am pro-choice.

I think that when it comes to debates like this, you need to find a common ground. Most pro-choice people do not think that abortion as a first option, unprotected sex between teenagers, or sexual promiscuity is a good thing. Like pro-life people, many pro-choice people do not necessarily like the idea of abortion and think of it as a quick fix. Many just find abortion to possibly be the lesser of the evils. Making other alternatives more easy to learn about or obtain to young people is a good start to dealing with unwanted pregnancies. Also, even if it is illegal, it won't stop. There will most likely be abortion practices happening in less than reliable places with unreliable and unlicensed physicians. This could hurt more than harm those who could have just gone to a clinic. So I think that abortion should at least be out there as an option for those who want it.

Image from: http://humanrights.foreignpolicyblogs.com/files/2009/11/pro-choice-abortion-rights-northern-ireland1-300x300.gif

No comments:

Post a Comment